Enjoyed our freshly made biscuits at No.21 York. Why not make it when you get home too?
Coconut & Ginger Oat Crunchies
- 375g/13oz Unsalted Butter
- 10ml (2 tsp) Bicarbonate of Soda
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Milk
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Golden syrup
- 230g/8oz Rolled Oats (the big flakes)
- 340g/12oz Plain flour
- 200g/7oz Desiccated Coconut
- 50g/1.5oz Fresh Ginger (grated)
- 275g/10oz Demerera Sugar
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F.
- Grease and line the base of two 30cm x 20cm baking tray.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the milk, mix well and allow to dissolve.
- Add the syrup and bicarb-milk to the butter and mix to combine – it will foam slightly.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients and ginger together.
- Add to the wet ingredients and stir. Work it through with your fingers until well mixed.
- Press the mixture firmly into the baking tray and bake in the oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them, so that they don’t burn.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting into 4cm squares while still a little soft.
- Gently remove from the baking tray when completely cool and enjoy.