Enjoyed our freshly made bread at No.21 York. Why not make it when you get home too?
- 500g - Harvester/Malted bread flour *Try to get fresh flour from your local bakery/flour mill
- 300ml-Tepid water – should feel warmer than your finger, almost hot
- 3 teaspoons - Dried yeast – I use Allisons tinned dried yeast
- 1.5 teaspoons - Brown sugar – I use Demerera
- 1 teaspoon - Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 Pinch - Flour, for dusting
- In a jug mix the water, salt, sugar & yeast. Agitate vigorously & set aside for 10 minutes or till you get a good head of foam on top.
- In a mixing bowl (saves messing up your work surfaces) bring together the flour & liquid mix till all ingredients start to form an elasticated mix.
- Knead well in the bowl for approximately 10 minutes or until you get a nice smooth dough.
- Dust with flour & place in your oven at 70 degrees for 30 minutes
- Remove & knead again for approximately 5 minutes – again looking for a smooth dough
- Shape the dough into your desired shape – you can add flavours/ingredients here if you wish. I dust with some flour to give a more rustic look.
- Pop back into your oven at 70 degrees for a further 30 minutes
- After the 2nd proof place into your oven at 180 degrees for a further 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes……
- Tuck in !
For a white/farmhouse loaf – substitute with strong white flour or “00” grade flour, again fresh flour is important & add a teaspoon of olive oil to the liquid blend.