Enjoyed our freshly made biscuits at No.21 York. Why not make our crumbly shortbreads when you get home too?
No. 21 Shortbread Recipe
- 400 g plain flour , plus extra for dusting
- 100 g caster sugar , plus extra for sprinkling over
- 250 g unsalted butter
Flavourings:- Here’s where you let your imagination take over, some of our favourite are
- Lemon & White Chocolate (Use Lemon Zest for an extra zing of flavour)
- Orange & Cranberry (Use Orange Zest for an extra zing of flavour)
- Honey & Ginger
- Blueberry & Lavender
- Date & Walnut
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas 3.
- Set up your baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper lightly dusted with the extra flour.
- Mix the flour and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter with fingers (or use a blender if you prefer) until you have a breadcrumb type consistency.
- Add your chosen flavourings - chocolate is best pushed into the biscuits once formed or rolled out.
- Push & pat the crumbly mix & flavourings into a dough directly onto your baking sheet - around 1cm thick (you can roll it out but don’t over work it and don’t knead the dough)
- Once it’s in the shape you like you can cut into wedges/squares/rectangles. If the dough falls apart just gently push it back together.
- Sprinkle over some caster sugar and put in the oven to cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Keep an eye on it from the 20 minute mark until you have a light golden colour - the honey & ginger will turn darker
- If you can resist…. leave to cool for about 30 mins & pop them into a biscuit tin.